Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fighting With The Elements (or The Enemy)

I awoke at 3:38 am to a strange noise outdoors. I thought it was someone pushing a shopping cart, but it didn't make sense, it never went away, I got up to look and it was raining, a mighty storm complete with thunder and lightening. I was so agitated I could not sleep. Around 8am we opened up the laptop to plan a new route. This weather had not been forecast. Things were about to deteriorate, the Internet was not working and the weather tv channel is not really detailed enough for us.
We decided to go for coffee and use the Internet at MoJoes.  It is overcast and windy but not actually raining. We are sitting quietly with our coffee and I turn on my iPhone and log on......immediately I get a LOUD buzzing alternating with beeping and the message on my screen reads Emergency!!! Flash flood Warning in your location till  3pm today!!!  Seriously! I wondered if everyone had received that message on turning on their devices today. OMG now I am freaked, I have seen too many examples of what flash floods can do.
We go back to our hotel to check out and have a new route planned. We are heading east and then south. The wind is ferocious, coming at us from the side and it is exhausting to stay upright against its force......all day it blew!
The landscape is the same as it has been for two states now, acres of sunflowers, corn, wheat, soy, alfalfa, and a new one I had not seen. It looked similar to corn except it was shorter and with a brown cone like top. I had been staring at it for 3 days...finally I googled it....it is sorghum.
We came into another small farming town which I cannot remember the name of and we lucked out in finding a really nice deli that also served food! So nice to have a wholesome bowl of soup and we shared a piece of rhubarb pie mmmmmm!
We are now camped out at a less than ideal room in a motel across the street from a Sonic drive-in in a town called El dorado ! This is what happens when you don't ride the freeways.....all the decent places to stay are on the major roads.
We will be off in a flash as soon as day breaks.
I forgot to mention, it did not rain on us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment