Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Day Two, feels like I’ve always been here.

My morning started well, apple juice,  tea and cereal at a leisurely pace. I research opening time for the National museum and left the flat at 9:45.  It was windy and cool as I made the short walk to Haymarket Station. More helpful people at the tram/bus stop when I purchased my daily ticket. The old gent I sat beside on the tram asked if I was from America.....and seemed quite guiniuely  delighted when I said Canadian. . So I found a way to insert into our conversation how nice most Americans are and that they get a bad wrap. Anyway I got off and promptly headed in the wrong direction. By the time I realized I was not where I meant to be I was within a stones throw from Calton Hill which was another “to do" so I carried on!  Huffing and puffing I climbed the stairs and went inside Nelson’s Monument , for £5 you could view the history exhibit and climb to the top of the monument, which is designed like an upside down ship spyglass. The stairs were not too narrow and the view at the top was breathless in a literal and figurative sense. From a lofty height I saw Arthur’s seat, the Firth of Forth bridges, city, sea, and the Scottish national gallery!  I took some photos , made one circular pass around and that was enough. The wind was even fiercer up high. Back a street level I made my way toward the  Scottish national gallery. ......sidetracked by a vodaphone store,.......guess what.....Rogers did not deactivate my ph! 😡what a waste of time.
I popped into a few shops, nothing I had to have. In the gallery I was hoping to see the impressionists and some work of my ancestor John Pettie. Although the gallery has 22 of his paintings none were displayed and they were at the Portrait Gallery., another site. On the impressionist rooms some were being refurbished and were roped off but I did see a lovely Degas and some Raeburns and aa, john Constable . By now it was noon and the Scottish Cafe on site looked nice, with a view straight down princess street gardens, daffodils abloom. I ordered tea and a scone. Since I didn’t have anyone to chat to I eavesdropped a little on the two ladies next to me. A downside of a solo vacation is not having someone to talk to when you want. I do talk to people at bus stops and in the shops, and my host when he is home.
I took a bus back to the flat and got in just before the rain. I phoned cousin Sandra to make arrangements for tomorrow and left a message.  She called while I was getting ready for the cousins dinner.
My biggest problem when I’m getting around on the buses and trams is knowing which side of the road to stand on, I think I know but am usually on the wrong side! I always confer with the driver or a passenger when I get on just to make sure! I arrived in Corstorphine, which is a part of Edinburgh, at the restaurant 10 minutes  early. Cousin Gordon was just ahead of me, we went to our reservation to wait for the rest. They all arrived at once, Allan, Brian, 2  Craigs and Helen, Moira, and one  other whose name has just left me. First I have to say, Craig is the double of Sians dad....I couldn’t get over the resemblance, even down to the same eyeglasses and speech patterns. The genes in our family are strong!  The men reminded me so much of dad. Lots of stories were being shared and photos. Moira had brought an old album and I had made a seperate file on my iPad to share. They can’t get over how similar myself and Sandra are!  We enjoyed a meal and as much as I protested and wanted to buy they insisted not!  They were most interested in my plans and I said I would be back in Edinburgh for 2days before I left for home......Helen and Craig insisted I stay with them. I had been planning to ask my airbnb host if I could come back for the 2 days but I will enjoy being with them again, and may meet some others.  Gordon gave me a copy of the book his friend wrote, about the bike ride he did in Gordon’s honour.
We left the restaurant and dad’s three nephews drove me home. Allan said he thought Fleur and Andrews son Gordon lived just a street over from where I am. Small world if so!
I hope to go to see Dean Village tomorrow morning then take the bus to meet Sandra at 12:30. .
It was very satisfying to be with family . 😊
Cherrio once more xo

2 comments:

  1. Muriel, Poor Craig, as a Scotsman, he will be mortified to hear that he has the same speech patterns as a Sassenach!
    Martin, aka Kildarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about your adventures with the buses made me smile and reminded me of last time I was in Glasgow. Intending on catching a bus to the city centre was not as easy as i thought, I somehow ended up in Paisley! Thank goodness the locals were friendly and soon pointed me back in the right direction! Enjoy your trip. x

    ReplyDelete