Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 11, 2018

Inverary , Loch Lomond and Glasgow

We were off towards Glasgow today with a stop at Inveraray. We left Craignure for our final ferry back to the mainland.  Inveraray is on the coast and there is a woollen mill there. I was meeting up with a dear friend and her partner. Jane and I met when Jeff and I were on a motorcycle trip in Texas. We were staying at a resort in Lajitas, Jane was as well. She was/is from South End on Sea, England. She was travelling alone which I thought was very brave! Now here I am .....sort of! Anyway Jane and Brian are in the area around Oban where she is currently teaching Scottish cooking to guests, while Brian takes them on cultural trips around the area, and KAYAK trips. We met up and caught up over a cuppa in a cafe, I think it was called The Scullery. An hour went by pretty quickly and I was the last one back to the bus! I hate to be last as you are acknowledged by a hearty clap by everyone as you make your way to your seat. The walk of shame, in good fun.
Our next stop is Doune Castle where much of Outlander was filmed, we spent an hour wandering about the castle, many rooms familiar from the series.
The scenery was so picturesque (Trossacks area) as we made our way I really thought it was the best yet. There were so many sheep in lush green rolling pastures, I decided to just enjoy them instead of taking more blurry photos! We came to Loch Lomond a large loch over 27 miles long.  Over  the stereo came The Bonnie Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond, many were singing along. This ballad, loved the world over is most often sung at funerals as it is believed that if you are born in Scotland your soul will come back here.  My memory as I listened, was of my mum playing it on the piano and singing.  I often think of how she didn’t want to come to Canada in the beginning, but came to love it.   She still kept the house filled with her Scottish 78 lp’s. I got a big lump in my throat and my eyes were watering! We were getting off the bus! The driver, who was Scottish, knew right away and said a few sympathetic words.....my undoing! I’m not a pretty cryer, am I family?! I think also I knew my journey was coming to an end.
On our way again we stopped in a layby to take a photo of Stirling castle from the back. It sits high on a cliff and looks similar to Edinburgh castle.
We arrive at our hotel, the Radisson, a five star! Dinner with our fellow travelers, many fine people.
Breakfast tomorrow will be our final goodbyes.
I will be spending one more night in Glasgow, a hotel closer to the museum/art gallery  where I will attend a private showing of the works of Julie Dumbarton..
Then I travel back to Edinburgh for a final two days with family.


1 comment:

  1. Ok we all know I AM a crier, so as you can imagine this post has me in a puddle lol!
    So glad it’s been a fantastic journey ❤️

    ReplyDelete