Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Dinner with an Old and Dear Friend

We were invited to have dinner with my old friend from elementary/high school days, Jane and her husband Greg. We called for an uber taxi for the 15 minute ride. We were immediately captivated by their house when we pulled up in front. Lights were shining and we could see figures beyond the beautiful old door with a glass oval. Jane and Greg enveloped us both in hugs hello! So nice! Their son Carl was also there to meet us and visit a bit before he had to depart. Ainsley and I felt right at home. We sat and chatted over wine and delicious appies. We were both in love with their old (100 yr old) house, so utterly charming and warmly decorated.  Jane had made a delicious dinner with scallops and a wonderful spicy sauce, rice and a beet and carrot salad. Yum! Dessert was a hazelnut cake with hazelnut Sicilian ice cream with blueberries and strawberries. We were full! By 10:30 we reluctantly called another uber to take us home. Jane generously took Ainsley's phone number for possible future meetings. It was a really special night.

My Last Day!
This morning we awoke to snow blowing sideways❄️☃ I guess the weather report of a big storm was correct.....-8 with the wind chill -16.
Ainsley said turn left out of the building and after about 50 steps I would get a cab.....sure enough I did. I asked the cabby to take me to the A.G.O, he did not know what I meant and I of course did not have the address. It's the biggest art gallery in Toronto, doesn't everyone know where it is? ,,,,I said to the cabby. Whew.
It didn't take long to get there and soon I was inside. I spent about 4 hours there including a short break for lunch. The Group of Seven, a y Jackson, Emily Carr, Lawren Harris, a European section, amazing. My favourite area was the drawing exhibit, many rooms with drawings from every artist you can think of, Degas being my favourite. There were very few people in the gallery which meant I could get quite close and stay there😀. There were artist easels set up and encouraging signs to sit down and draw. One young fellow was copying one of the exhibited drawings. I was surprised that picture taking was allowed.....and I took lots. One exhibit that I nearly missed was quite interesting. It was on the contemporary art floor, and by this time I was near the end of my visit. I decided I would spent a few minutes on the 5th floor. This exhibit was digital and took 14 minutes to view. There was an empty room with a large outline of a rectangle on the floor and a projector high up in one corner.  The " show " started with graphics in black sand soon tumbling down the length of the rectangle you could see human figures, chairs , more human figures. It was depicting the falling of the twin towers........dark and shocking, lest we forget, the image changed to tree branches with leaves fluttering in wind, then the colours started changing...pink, purple, red, yellow moving in soft waves, quite extraordinary, and soothing at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment